Celebrate Wellness & Recovery Writing Contest
How Has Wellness Helped You on Your Journey?
Wellness and self-care are vital for healing from the effects of addiction. During Wellness Week with Herren, we are hosting a writing contest open to anyone who has been impacted by the disease of addiction and is celebrating the power of recovery and healing. Whether you are in recovery yourself or are a friend or family member of a loved one with the disease, we invite you to share how wellness has impacted your life and journey in a positive way.
Have you found a new hobby to use as a coping skill? Have you started practicing healthy eating and exercise? Have you recognized the power of expressing your emotions? Have you embarked on a spiritual journey? Share your story with us!
What is Wellness?
Wellness is not just about being in good health – it’s the change and growth that occurs when pursuing a state of physical, mental and social well-being. As we celebrate recovery and healing, we recognize the symbiotic relationship between recovery and healing & wellness that shapes a healthy, fulfilling life. To better understand wellness, we often refer to the 8 Pillars of Wellness that are utilized in the pursuit of holistic health:
- Emotional – Coping effectively with life and creating satisfying relationships
- Physical – Recognizing the need for physical activity, healthy foods, and sleep
- Spiritual – Expanding a sense of purpose and meaning in life
- Intellectual – Recognizing creative abilities and finding ways to expand knowledge and skills
- Environmental – Good health by occupying pleasant, stimulating environments that support well-being
- Financial – Satisfaction with current and future financial situations
- Occupational – Personal satisfaction and enrichment from one’s work
- Social – Developing a sense of connection, belonging, and a well-developed support system
To Enter the Contest
Submit a short (~500 words) piece of writing on how wellness has played a role in your journey as it relates to your or a loved one’s substance use disorder. You can reference as many of the 8 Pillars of Wellness as you’d like. Submit your entry using the form below.
The top three submissions will receive a signed copy of Chris Herren’s book, Basketball Junkie, as well as have their works published on Herren Project’s website. Entries must be submitted by March 31st. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to reading how wellness has made a positive impact on your life!
Source used: https://cpr.bu.edu/living-well/eight-dimensions-of-wellness/